Every so often I feature a blog on the topic of diets, since our diet is intimately connected with the health of our body, mind and spirit.
For instance, a few weeks ago I featured the Okinawa Diet, and its health and longevity benefits. And one of my first blogs was on the contrasting benefits between the essential fats Omega-3 and Omega-6.
Well, I recently came across a diet book which shakes the very foundation of what it means to be human, and it offers some astounding insights into our current human condition. As you may have guessed, this diet is not about loosing weight so you can look cute in your bikini.
The book Left In The Dark, tackles the massive impact of diet change on the evolution of our human brains, no less.
A brief synopsis of this fascinating book is as follows:
• Powerful plant chemicals once abundant in ancestral forest diet modified the action of our own sex hormones
• This affected brain development and evolution, increasing brain size, changing its structure and enhancing its function
• These interconnected factors occasionally led to runaway brain expansion (a feedback loop)
• Leave the forest or lose connection with the fruit chemicals and the brain expansion stops
• In place of accelerating expansion a slow degeneration takes place, this affects one side of the brain more than the other
• Paradoxically the most damaged side driven by increasing fear slowly assumes control
• This created a complex neurological condition that has resulted in a number of serious psychological symptoms and left us virtually blind to its existence.
Needless to say, if you are curious about the human condition, this book is a highly recommended read.
© David R. Durham