You May Be Amazed

Standard

To find that your are plastic!

No I don’t mean that incredible material derived form oil, that’s flexible, waterproof, doesn’t rust and so on. Making it ideal for rain coats, shopping bags, containers etc. etc.

Hold on a minute though this does give us a clue.

No, not the ‘doesn’t rust’ part (although you probably won’t) but the bit about ‘flexibility’.

Did you know that your genetic make-up and brain neurology are not fully hard-wired. Your genes can change with experience and your brain can adapt its structure to the loss of a major sensory channel.

It’s official: You are not a machine, you are a free man (or woman).

For instance, the human brain can override genetically programmed compartments mapped for sight or sound, and re-wire them for new functions. So, in the brain of a blind person, a huge area normally assigned to the visual cortex will now process sound and touch. 1

Even more fascinating, have you ever considered seeing with your tongue? Well, you may have several uses for it, but I bet you didn’t think of that one. Dr. Bach-y-Rita at the University of Wisconsin has managed to prove that we can. Underlying this work is the belief that we do not see with our eyes, but with our brain. 1

In the area of genetic research, there has been much publicity in recent years surrounding the tremendous feat of mapping the sequence of human DNA (Genome). One of the results of on-going research in this area is the realization that our DNA sequence does not predict our destiny.

Some areas where this is most apparent are the fetal origins of adult diseases and, in some cases, the impact of birth itself on our DNA.

During our whole lifetime, it seems, there is a dynamic relationship between our genome and the environment. This interplay between us and our world means that our unique experiences can permanently alter the expression of our genes. 2

Isn’t it intriguing to think what it would be like if we could consciously change our DNA?

Another interesting statistic about our human genome is that only about 3% of it is used in instructions for living. The remaining 97% is known as non-coding DNA, and its function is not currently fully understood. 3

Some have suggested that it may be possible to turn it on, but what does this and when this could happen, is at present unknown.

Sources (See The Books Page):
1 Evolve Your Brain, by Joe Dispenza, HCI, 2007.

2 DNA: Promise & Peril, L. L. McCabe & E. R. B. McCabe, Univ. of Cal. Press, 2008.

3 The Human Genome Source Book, T. Acharya, Greenwood Press, 2005.

Advertisements

Comments are closed.